A+ Quality AC Repair in Farmersville for over 40 Years!
History of Farmersville TX
Farmersville was founded in East Collin County in around 1849. The settlers named the town after what they did in the area, farmed! Present-day Farmersville wasn’t the original settlement. It was originally two miles northeast of what we know as the town and known as Sugar Hill. However, it was abandoned and the settlers moved to what we now know as Farmersville.
Growth of Farmersville
After the people of the settlement decided to relocate in 1854, the town started to grow. The post office was established in 1857. The town was incorporated on June 2, 1873.
The town was growing with opportunities for the people within it. The First Methodist Church was established in 1856, and the First Baptist Church in 1865. There were private schools in Farmersville as early as the 1860s. The public school system was established around 1890, and in 1988 the Farmersville Independent School District had over 900 students on three campuses.
Both the First National Bank at Farmersville and the Farmersville Times, a weekly newspaper, were founded in 1885 and were still in operation in 1988 when the First National Bank was the oldest independent bank remaining in Collin County and one of the oldest in the state of Texas
The town became a trading center due to many farmers settling in the area. Dairies were established in the area, along with some small industries, cattle, cotton, and corn crops. In 1988 the community had a population of 2,900, even though the population is continuing to grow, it still has a rural feel to it. In 1990 the population was 2,640 and in 2000 it was 3,118.
Home to Greatness
There is a lot of history to Farmersville. H.M. Markham, practicing here by 1855, is said to have been Collin County’s earliest physician. Farmersville is also the hometown of Audie Murphy, America’s most decorated soldier of World War II.
Farmersville also became known as the “Onion Capital on North Texas” in the 1930s. They were annually shipping over 1,000 carloads of onions. This led to an Onion Festival beginning in 1935 that was suspended during the war.