Your home air conditioning system is essential to your comfort and wellbeing. What happens when your air conditioner won’t turn on. Unfortunately, most McKinney, Frisco, Plano and Prosper, TX homeowners will experience issues with their air conditioning units at some time. If your air conditioner won’t turn on, there are a number of steps that you can take to identify and solve the problem. Remember that many air conditioning system issues need to be handled by a trained and certified professional to ensure your safety and the integrity of your cooling system. If you think it is not something you can safely do, please call Joplin’s A/C and Heating and set up a Service Call.
AC Won’t Turn On: Common Issues
Today, most air conditioners are built to offer up to 20 years of reliable use. However, in the Texas heat, air conditioners may stop cooling or suffer from other issues every so often. One of the best ways to prevent unexpected A/C issues is to have regular maintenance performed on your unit. If you cannot perform the maintenance yourself, hire a Joplin’s professional to do it. Spending money on maintenance now can save you from big repair bills in the future.
Some of the most common AC issues are listed below, and they may even be the reason why your air conditioning unit won’t kick on. Be sure to ascertain whether your unit has shut down entirely or whether only a part of your unit has shut down or isn’t working. Remember, it is always necessary to cut power off to your unit before inspecting it for wiring-related issues.
- The AC unit does not cool rooms evenly: Inspect your unit’s distribution channels. Do you feel cold air flowing from all vents in the room? Make sure the fan on your unit is bringing air into all the rooms. An air balance may need to be performed by one of our qualified technicians.
- The AC unit turns on but doesn’t cool: If your unit turns on but doesn’t cool, check your thermostat to be sure that it is set at the correct temperature. Then check the condenser and evaporator for dirt and clogging. Lastly, check the coil around your outside unit. If there is too much dirt on your coil, it cannot get rid of the heat in the refrigerant and will not cool well.
- The condenser turns on and off repeatedly: Having a unit turn on and off repeatedly can be frustrating. Typically, this problem is caused either by low refrigerant or low airflow inside. Check to make sure your blower is running and your filter inside is clean. If the problem persists, the unit may need to be inspected by a professional technician. An experienced Joplin’s representative will be able to provide the best options to resolve this issue.
- The condenser unit won’t turn on at all: If your condenser unit stops performing, you may have a faulty motor or the unit may not be receiving power. Check the breaker panel for a tripped breaker to determine if that is the problem. If you attempt to reset the breaker and it trips immediately, do not try again for you could have more underlying issues that require a professional.
Common Causes of Air Conditioner Issues
What are some other reasons your air conditioner won’t turn on? Below are a few common reasons for more serious HVAC issues. A majority of these concerns will need to involve a trained technician.
- Icy buildup: Ice can build up on your evaporator coil in the summer. If ice collects on your evaporator coil or other portions of your unit, the AC may not turn or cool the air efficiently . The unit must be thawed and all ice must be removed before it will operate properly. Then, we can troubleshoot the issue to find out why the Ice developed in the first place.
- Faulty motors: In most cases, your air conditioning system will shut down completely if the motor is faulty. At that point, you will most likely need to see if the motor can be repaired or if it must be replaced.
- Faulty compressors: Issues with your compressor may cause your A/C unit to shut down. Keep your compressor clean to prevent these issues.
- Dirty filters, condenser or evaporators: Dirt in an air conditioning system is one of the leading causes of breakdowns. Make sure you have a preventative maintenance program in place to have your unit serviced on a regular basis to prevent these issues. Filters should be changed according to the manufacturer’s schedule.
- Refrigerant shortages: If your air conditioning unit does not have enough refrigerant, it may not turn on or operate correctly. This is typically a job for a qualified technician who can check refrigerant levels and charge the system correctly.
- Thermostat Problems: Check your thermostat to eliminate the possibility that your unit won’t turn on because it is faulty. The problem may require a skilled technician to troubleshoot the wiring to determine if the thermostat is the cause of the problem.
Should I Repair or Replace: Resolving Air Conditioner Issues.
How do you fix an air conditioning unit in McKinney, TX that won’t start? If your A/C unit refuses to operate, consider the age of the HVAC system. If your unit is 12 years or older, installing a more efficient system may save you money. If the A/C cuts on and off before your home is cool or your HVAC unit won’t shut off, you may need a repair. Call Joplin’s A/C & Heating to look over your system and provide you with the answers you need to make an informed decision. One way of knowing if you need a new air conditioning system is if repairs will cost more than 50 percent of your unit’s overall value, it is better to replace the unit.
In the Texas heat, getting your air conditioner issues quickly resolved is essential. At Bill Joplin’s Air Conditioning & Heating, we focus on providing options for the air conditioning needs for residential customers throughout the McKinney, TX, area. At Bill Joplin’s Air Conditioning & Heating, we focus on providing excellent customer service to our residential and commercial customers throughout the McKinney, TX area. We will be happy to provide you with the best options for your air conditioning and heating needs.